None of us really likes having difficult conversations about behaviour in the workplace or when dealing with someone who is emotional or confrontational. However, the need to have conversations doesn’t disappear when they are ignored. Mishandling conversations also leads to ongoing communication problems which can affect team relationships, morale and ultimately productivity.
The skills to deal with difficult conversations effectively are essential in any business. Conversations need to be dealt with in an appropriate way to ensure positive outcomes and foster sound working relationships.
- Establish the need and purpose for conversations
- Adopt the right approach depending on the circumstances
- Recognise and manage their own emotional states
- Challenge their assumptions and beliefs
- Plan and prepare for the conversation
- Open the conversation
- Present their views
- Listen to the other person’s views
- Handle reactions with care
- Reach an amicable solution
We know that every business is different so TQC can support businesses in different ways; through management coaching, workshops and training programmes. Whatever delivery method suits your business best, you can be assured that your managers will learn valuable techniques and strategies that will make it easier for them to handle difficult conversations successfully.